As I began to plan the kitchen layout, where the window would be, how the appliances and cupboards would be laid out, I found that there would be an issue with the space in there.
This was the sort of layout I decided on.
The problem occurred when I wound that the 2130mm (7 ft) wide kitchen would only allow 915mm (3 ft) between opposing rows of cabinets. The building regulations guidance recommends 1220mm (4ft) so a person can safely walk past an open oven door.
I had to make the kitchen wider.
Well, that wasn’t as difficult as it would be in real life, I just needed to glue on some more plywood to the walls and the floors. All that effort in painting the kitchen and bathroom in annoying colours and I had to repaint in magnolia as I couldn’t match the colour again!
I made the house 460mm (1ft 6in) wider so it was now 2590mm (8ft 6in) wide so that was plenty of space!
Remember that back garden wall base board with the two cuts in it? Well, this is what that happened. The back garden got pushed further off the edge of the workbench so a new cut out was needed.
Now I figured I was ready to make the windows for the kitchen and bathroom. My plan was that the old sash windows have been replaced with 1970s casement windows. So that is where I started.
The window units were carefully laminated together with the glazing in place. I sanded one piece of glazing in regular horizontal and vertical lines to obscure it for the bathroom.
You can see the general construction in these finished images. The opener is hinged with glued paper.
The kitchen window was made slightly wider. I masked off the glazing for primer and then gloss white.
Though I didn’t get photos for the front wall, this is the same process. I placed the windows in position and then framed them with the spacer battens. I did the same for the door and the edges of the wall. The gaps will allow me to feed wiring in for an outside light later.
I made the back wall in the same manner as the front.
You may have noticed the brick bond is different to the front of the house. This is English Garden Wall bond, traditional for the area, and so is an original feature. Clearly the demolition contractors for the Ring Road were clearly more careful at the back of the house then the front!
To save time I decided to buy some kitchen furniture and appliances. It all needed to have that realism for photographs, but I could also remake them better or different later should Daisy decide to do some home improvements.
Of course the difficulty is that dolls house stuff is not always true to scale. The fridge is giant size, a full 760mm (30in) wide! The sink unit was also wider then needed so there is no washing machine, for now…
The cooker and random cupboard was better but I will need to make a cabinet to go in the corner.
I bought a vintage Bodo Hennig bathroom suite but it only came with two taps. I have put them both on the bath and bought new ones for the basin.
As you can see they are a little thin, I am not sure they will let any water flow.
Floor coverings were a bit of a trial to find. But I happened upon these in a big DIY store and they looked perfect for a textured cushion vinyl flooring. Stores are very kind in allowing customers to take free samples of wallpapers, just big enough to carpet a dolls house!
The kitchen is looking very good.
Pity the fridge is so wide!
The cooker is very convincing though.
I will need to think about the bathroom layout and where the waste plumbing will need to run and exit the building. The flooring colour seems a little washed out in this image.
Here you can see the relationship of the two rooms.
I will need to add a rainwater down pipe, soil pipe, and waste pipes.