Given a few days of work or rain, and rain and work, there was a break in the weather today, Sunday afternoon, I did a little bit more work on the conversion.
A few years ago I made a wooden scissor lift for a job to lift an antique cabinet into position on a wall for a client. It was the safest way I could do the job without costly equipment hire. After the job it was part dismantled and stashed in my woodwork shop.
Today I reassembled enough of it to use to lift the transmission into position in the engine bay so that the driveshafts could be connected. Doing it this way meant not needing to leave the engine crane assembled and out in the open. With the scissor lift underneath I could then close the bonnet and leave it again when it started raining.
Given I have never seen this transmission in its original vehicle, the Toyota Prius, I have no idea what I can use to indicate when the transmission is level front to back. I am guessing the top two bell housing bolt holes so that is how I have wedged it level on the scissor lift.
I then connected the two driveshafts to the transmission drive flanges. For the time being I have used a couple of M10 x 20mm bolts per joint until the Torx drive socket head screws arrive from China.
With the driveshafts connected I was able to lift and adjust the position of the transmission to as close to the correct position as I could, though with the nearside and offside driveshafts swapped over I have no idea how correct it really is! Best guess I suppose!
Now I can make up a temporary method for attaching the transmission to the original engine mounts on the car, maybe in wood before I fabricate them in steel, but maybe just bodge something and hope!