Due to a rotten night’s sleep I needed to do something physically challenging, and mentally stimulating, to keep me awake. And as it wasn’t raining this afternoon it was a chance to work on the car again.
I decided to make the transmission mounting and with a lot of careful checking I found that the offside engine mount was raised up on a turret, relative to the nearside mounting. The difference between the underside of the offside and the top side of the nearside mounting was 40mm. I just happened to have a length of scrap 40 x 70 x 3mm box section.
The bolt holes were 90mm apart on each mount and 800mm side to side. So I started fabricating by welding some angle iron to each end to extend the width of the box section for the mounting holes.
My TIG welding is improving, photography less so as out of focus.
A quick test fit and I have my measurements right. I do need to get some longer bolts though.
You can see how I decided to do this, I could have put the angle across the end of the box section but I only had a small off cut of the angle so it had to be tabs.
The near side rests on top of the original mounting point….
…while the offside end is suspended from underneath.
Notice the notch I had to fabricate to fit the cross-member to the mount. I could have cut the protrusion off the mount but decided to leave it as it is for now, in case I change the design.
It is all good TIG welding practice on scrap metal anyway.
I sprayed the cross-member with grey primer for the time being. The next stage will be to make brackets to go from the transmission to the cross-member. Need to find more usable scrap steel from the (huge) pile in the basement workshop.